Gravelly Hill Middle School opened in the fall of 2006. GHMS is one of three comprehensive public middle schools in the Orange County Schools school district.
Over 35% of the certified staff at GHMS have advanced degrees and 6 teachers hold National Board Certification. Gravelly Hill Middle School is accredited by the Southern Association of Schools and Colleges and the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction.
- Grade levels served: 6-8
- Calendar: Traditional
- Schedule: Equal Core Periods
- Enrollment: 460
- School colors: Green/Yellow/Blue
- School mascot: Grizzly
- Bell schedule: 8:20 a.m. – 3:35 p.m.
- 44 certified staff members
- 16 classified staff members
- 1 School Resource Officer
- Student capacity: 600
- Original Construction Date: 2006
- Building square footage: 122,793
- Size of property: 66.173 acres
- 7 staff members with National Board Certified Standards Certification
Orange County is the western most county in the Research Triangle Park. Orange County Schools is in close proximity to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Duke University, North Carolina Central University, and North Carolina State University, as well as several other two-year and four-year institutions, two medical research facilities, over 300 high-tech corporations, and a major airport. Though convenient to larger urban areas, northern Orange County offers its residents a strong economic environment and a high quality of life, while maintaining a small town atmosphere.
It is the goal of Gravelly Hill Middle School that all students will matriculate to high school from a rigorous, relevant academic program that equips them with the knowledge, skills, and dispositions necessary to succeed in high school, post-secondary education and 21st Century careers as an active and engaged citizen. (Proposed North Carolina State Board of Education Policy defining academic rigor, relevance, and relationships).
To that end, specific programs such as the Advancement via Individual Determination (AVID), the English as a Second Language (ESL) Services, and the Exceptional Children’s Program are available for students of Gravelly Hill Middle School. These programs offer adaptive, differentiated approaches to students with specific academic needs and goals. If you would like more information, please contact our guidance department at (919) 245-4050.
- 2018-2019 GHMS Teacher of the Year: Caroline Smith
- 2017-2018 GHMS Teacher of the Year: Matt Gugino
- 2016-2017 GHMS Teacher of the Year: Chris DiMassimo
- 2015-2016 GHMS Teacher of the Year: Julie White
- 2015-2016 Orange County Schools Teacher of the Year: Julie White
- 2014-2015 GHMS Teacher of the Year: Cristie Watson
- 2013-2014 GHMS Teacher of the Year: Thomas Watson
- 2012-2013 GHMS Teacher of the Year: Krista Hawks
- 2011-2012 GHMS Teacher of the Year: Dawn Perks
- 2010-2011 GHMS Teacher of the Year: Darla J. Bray
- 2009-2010 GHMS Teacher of the Year: Melissa Barnhouse
- 2008-2009 GHMS Teacher of the Year: Heather Walton
- 2007-2008 GHMS Teacher of the Year: Cindi Rigsbee
- 2007-2008 Orange County Schools Teacher of the Year: Cindi Rigsbee
Proudly we stand,
the Gravelly Family,
with the ties that bring us hope and unity.
Green, gold, and blue
our colors tried and true.
Lift high your voices:
This is our Gravelly
-Home of the Grizzlies-
Our cherished Gravelly Hill Middle School.