OCS Board Extends Remote Learning to the First Nine Weeks
On July 20, the Board of Education approved a recommendation to start the new school year under Plan C - fully remote for nine weeks. All of our students will start the year fully remote and will receive all instruction online for the first nine weeks. This includes students enrolled in the Virtual Academy and those who will eventually return to school for in-person instruction when it is safe to do so. <For more information>
Posted on July 13, 2020
As we prepare for the 2020-2021 school year, the foundation of all of our decisions will continue to be the health and safety of students and staff. In addition, based on stakeholder feedback and state and health department guidance, we considered the following:
- deep cleaning and ability to sanitize our schools
- quality instruction with both face-to-face and remote learning
- availability of certified teachers with current staff
- transportation with social distancing which means fewer students on a bus at one time
- meeting the needs of working families (i.e., childcare and before- and after-school care)
- continuing to provide meals to our students
- meeting the needs of students with special needs
- meeting the needs of students and staff who are considered at-risk due to exposure to COVID-19
In addition to our work and state guidance, the Governor’s reopening plan for the 2020-2021 school year includes two options for school districts - Plan B or Plan C.
- Plan B - Open w/ moderate social distancing & at < 50% density
- Plan C - Closed w/ remote learning) for the state on July 1
Please know, we understand and recognize there is not a perfect plan or perfect solution that will work for all.
On July 10, the OCS Board of Education unanimously approved Plan B's Option C: Alternating Weeks. In Option C students will alternate between in-person instruction and remote instruction on a weekly basis. The OCS Board of Education also approved the Back to School Orientation Week schedule, whe re each student will attend one day of school, August 17 - August 21, in order to adjust to the new socially distanced learning environment.
In addition, the OCS Board of Education approved unlimited seats for current or new OCS students, K-12, interested in Orange County Schools (OCS) Virtual Academy. The OCS Virtual Academy is a 100% online learning opportunity where students will not have any in-person instruction.
FOR FAMILIES: After reviewing the alternating weeks plan, please complete this survey for each student who will attend Orange County Public Schools during the 2020/21 school year. This form includes:
- Family/student choice for alternating weeks plan or Orange County Schools Virtual Academy
- Transportation participation for eligible riders
last updated July 25, 2020