OCS Virtual Academy
We answered a lot of FAQ's in our Family Information Sessions. Please watch the appropriate session for more information.
OCS Board Extends Remote Learning to the First Nine Weeks
On July 20, the Board of Education approved a recommendation to start the new school year under Plan C - fully remote for nine weeks. All of our students will start the year fully remote and will receive all instruction online for the first nine weeks. This includes students enrolled in the Virtual Academy and those who will eventually return to school for in-person instruction when it is safe to do so. <For more information>
As our community recovers from the initial impact of COVID-19 and we plan for multiple possibilities for returning to school in the fall, we have made the decision to offer families and students virtual learning as an option. This new virtual option will give your family the flexibility to choose from full-time enrollment or a virtual learning option.
We’ve partnered with Edmentum to provide your child with an excellent at-home learning experience. Edmentum has provided online learning to students since 1997 and is partnered with over 800 schools and districts to support more than 85,000 students nationally. Through this partnership we can provide your child with a quality virtual education in grades K-12
OCS Virtual Academy Information Sessions
A new opportunity for OCS students for the 2020-2021 school year is the Orange County Schools Virtual Academy. The OCS Virtual Academy is a 100% online learning opportunity where students will not have any in-person instruction and is available for K-12 students. This is not the same as remote learning. The goal for remote learning is to return to the classroom for in-person learning. There are unlimited Virtual Academy seats for current or new OCS students. The deadline to apply is July 21, 2020. Please plan on a commitment of 9 weeks at the elementary level and a semester at the secondary level. <link to application>
Orange County Schools will hold four information sessions this week for families who are interested in learning more about the OCS Virtual Academy.
- K-8 Information Session: Thursday, July 16 from 5:00 to 6:00 p.m.
- Grades 9-12 Information Session: Thursday, July 16 from 6:00 to 7:00 p.m.
- K-8 Information Session: Friday, July 17 from 5:00 to 6:00 p.m.
- Grades 9-12 Information Session: Friday, July 17 from 6:00 to 7:00 p.m.
What you can expect from the Orange County Schools Virtual Academy
Our partnership with Edmentum allows us to provide your child with a truly personalized learning experience and the same level of rigorous curriculum, exemplary instruction, and total commitment to student advancement that you have come to expect from Orange County Schools. When you choose this virtual program, you and your child will be able to:
- Choose from a catalog of over 400 courses, including core, elective, career and technical education, and advanced courses in the secondary level, and have access to a full elementary curricula with the guidance from your child's counselor.
- Access courses 24/7, from any computer connected to the Internet; many courses are optimized for mobile devices, including tablets.
- Work closely with supportive, certified online teachers from OCS who are committed to building strong relationships with both students and parents. Regular communication occurs via video conferencing, phone, and email; teachers also offer live lessons and virtual “office hours” for real- time instruction and extra help.
- Participate in engaging activities designed to meet the needs of all learners, including videos, audio content, and problem-based interactive lessons.
- Access pacing and progress-monitoring tools to help stay on track.
- Continue to be part of our Orange County Schools’ community with access to the same resources, supports, and opportunities that you’ve come to expect from us.
last updated July 25, 2020
For specific questions regarding the OCS Virtual Academy please email us at OCS.VAQuestions@orange.k12.nc.
If you have any questions or need additional information, please feel free to contact Dr. Kathleen A. Dawson, Deputy Superintendent, at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 919-732-8126.
For information regarding special education services, please email Connie Crimmins, Director of Exceptional Children at email@example.com.