Family and Student Resources
Parent & Family Resources
USA.gov in English: This official website of the U.S. government provides individuals with valuable, accurate information when and where they need it. USAGov is a wealth of information about high-priority topics and resources, including:
- about the USA
- services for people with disabilities
- benefits, grants, and loans (government programs that provide financial help for individuals and organizations)
- disasters and emergencies (how to prepare for and recover from these)
- education (about primary, secondary, and higher education)
- health (resources from the government)
- jobs and unemployment
- much, much more!
USA.gov en Español: USAGov en Español es parte de USA.gov, el portal oficial del Gobierno de Estados Unidos que brinda información confiable, actual e importante para usted cuándo y dónde la necesite. Aquí se puede aprender más acerca de:
- los EE.UU. (su historia, el gobierno, estructura política, etc.)
- servicios para personas con discapacidades
- ayuda financiera y beneficios
- desastres y emergencias (qué hacer para estar preparado ante una emergencia y cómo recibir ayuda para la recuperación después de un desastre natural)
- educación (sobre ayuda para estudiantes y personas que quieren aprender inglés)
- la salud (seguros médicos, atención y tratamiento de enfermedades)
- vivienda (información para propietarios e inquilinos de casas o apartamentos)
- trabajo y desempleo (recursos para trabajadores, personas desempleadas, jubilados y emprendedores de negocios u organizaciones)
- y más!
Glossary of Spanish Translations of Common IDEA Terms: includes over 400 terms related to special education and early intervention services, respectively. The terms were selected by experienced translators from Parent Centers who have worked with families with children with disabilities representing the majority of Spanish-speaking cultures in Latin America and Spain. This glossary can also be found in a searchable form online.
Colorín Colorado: These bilingual parent resources offer tips on helping your child learn to read, succeed in school, and learn a new language. They also provide information about the U.S. school system and share ideas on how to build a relationship with your child’s teacher and school.
U.S.A. Learns: Online adult course for learning English sponsored by the US Department of Education: U.S.A. Learns offers the following features:
- An easily accessible Internet learning tool;
- Simple directions;
- Free instructional materials developed to teach basic English skills and help adults improve their English proficiency; and
- Learning modules that can be used outside a traditional classroom.
Upon entering the site, users can choose directions in either English or Spanish and then pick which English level they need --- beginner or intermediate. Once in the modules, the instruction is almost exclusively in English. In the beginner course, 20 units are offered in such areas as numbers, the calendar, places to go, families, schools, clothes, money and shopping. For intermediate students, more challenging exercises can help them further their existing English reading and writing skills.
Adelante NC: http://www.adelantenc.org/
El Pueblo: http://www.elpueblo.org/
Khan Academy: Free short video lessons with practice exercises in multiple content areas
Starfall: Teaches early literacy and math skills using songs and games
Epic: Library of free electronic books
Time for Kids: TIME for Kids nurtures today’s learners and tomorrow’s leaders with authentic news and the critical-thinking skills that shape active global citizens.