- Orange County School District
OCS School News, Event and Updates Nov. 13-17
November 13, 2023 | Jala Davis
November is a very interesting month in Orange County Schools and this week is a full week stacked with many good things happening in our schools. This week is also a full five-day week for students. Please read further to find information for your students' school!
- Next week is a two day week for students as Thanksgiving is next week and students will only have school on Monday, Nov. 20 and Tuesday, Nov. 21
- The rest of the week students will not attend school!
New Hope Elementary School
- Fall Picture Makeup
- If students were not able to attend the first Fall Picture session, Nov. 14 is the day to makeup fall pictures
- Original Works Art
- Are you interested in purchasing products that feature your children's artwork? Please check your backpacks for more information regarding information from Original Works!
- Orders are due the morning of Nov. 16 and 17; students can bring forms and money to be collected by the designated staff (see email)
- Please make sure they bring their artwork to school with them if you choose to purchase
Grady A Brown Elementary School
- The Scholastic Book Fair is on campus this week and will open Monday-Wednesday from 7:30 a.m. to 2:45 p.m. and Thursday from 7:30 to 11 a.m.!
- Classroom teachers will be communicating with parents with induvidual class times
Pathways Elementary School
- World Kindness Day will be celebrated on Monday, Nov. 13, and students will be read "Be Kind" by Pat Miller alongside kindness activities embedded in their learning day
- First Grade Veterans Performance
- Friday, Nov. 17, HES first grade students will be performing in a Veterans Day Program
- Giving Tree
- Spread a little cheer this holiday season by selecting a number from the HES Giving Tree Sign-up Genius through the provided link.
- Our Giving Tree will be open for selection on Monday, November 13th. Each number represents a wish item or a clothing item for a student in need. The Giving Tree will now be completely remote and you can adopt a numbered tag through the provided link. Only adults should sign up through the provided link. All items should be dropped off during morning and afternoon drop off, by Monday, December 11th. Donations of Walmart or grocery store gift cards are also appreciated. Ms. Swayne, the School Social Worker, is available to help families select wish items through phone or email. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Holiday Parade
- HES will be participating in the Hillsborough Holiday Parade this year!
- The parade will take place on Dec. 3 at 4:00 p.m.
- HES will be wearing school colors and Dolphin gear and would love for you to join them (participation link)!
- Please consider making posters to show support for HES!
- School Tours
- The next school tour for prospective families will be Dec. 6 at 8:30 a.m. (sign up form)
Efland-Cheeks Global Elementary School
- Fall picture makeup day
- If your student missed fall picture day, Tuesday, Nov. 14 will be the makeup; these pictures will be the picture used in the yearbook
River Park Elementary School
- Fall picture makeup day
- If your child missed fall picture day, their makeup opportunity will be this Wednesday, Nov. 15
- Read-a-thon Results
- Thank you to everyone who supported the River Park Read-a-thon fundraising, totalling over $42,000!
- Painted Grape Fundraiser
- Painted Grape is sponsoring a PTGO fundraiser! Parents can purchase a Thanksgiving-themed painted canvas kit and a portion of the proceeds go to River Park PTGO
- Order your kit here; all orders due by Monday, Nov. 20 and kits will be sent home on Tuesday, Nov. 21
- Pasta Lunch for River Park Staff
- The PTGO Hospitality Committee is hosting a pasta lunch for teachers and staff on Tuesday, Nov. 21
- If you would like to donate an item for the lunch, click here. Items will be collected on Tuesday, Nov. 21 in the carline
- Winter Spirit Wear Order Deadline Extended
- For all Winter Spirit Gear pre-order, click here!
- Robotics Competition Volunteers Needed and Donations
- River Park Elementary has two robotics teams that will be advancing to the district robotics competition at Orange High School which will be held on Saturday, Nov. 18.
- To donate concession items, please click here!
- Yearbook Cover Contest
- The annual Yearbook Cover Contest is back! This year's theme is "Best Days Ever!" and the deadline for submitting artwork is Wednesday, Nov. 15
Central Elementary School
- School Improvement Meeting
- Tuesday, Nov. 14 in the PLC room
- Please see the weekly email for action steps
- Thankful Thursday
- Join CES for a drink of water this Thursday, Nov. 16 and create viral TikTok Recipes
- AIR Program - 3rd Grade
- Monday, Nov. 13 to Friday, Nov. 17
Gravelly Hill Middle School
- The Fall Sports Season Award Ceremony
- Monday, Oct. 13 from 6:45 to 8 p.m. in the auditorium
- Athletic Tryouts
- Boys Basketball Tryouts Nov. 13-15 (3:30 to 5 p.m.)
- Boys Basketball Practice Nov. 16 (3:30 to 5 p.m.)
- Boys Basketball Practice Nov. 17 (3:30 to 5 p.m.)
- Wrestling Practice Nov. 13-16 (3:30 to 5 p.m.)
- Wrestling Practice Nov. 17 (3:30 to 6 p.m.)
- Cheer Practice Nov. 13-15 (3:35 to 5:15 p.m.)
- Girls Basketball Practice Nov. 13-15 (5 to 6:30 p.m.)
- Girls Basketball Practice Nov. 16 (4:30 to 5:30 p.m.)
- Girls Basketball Practice Nov. 17 (5 to 6:30 p.m.)
Orange Middle School
- Fall Picture Makeup
- If your child missed fall pictures, makeups will be Wednesday, Nov. 15
- OMS Family Night
- Family night has been rescheduled to Wednesday, Nov. 15
- Winter Donation Drive
- This year's winter donation drive starts Monday, Nov. 13 and will end Tuesday, Dec. 5 and winter clothes will be accepted to help those in need
- Items will be collected in the main office and all sizes are welcome
- Angel Tree
- The Angel Tree Initiative will be launched this year!
- If you'd like to participate, please stop by the front desk and select an angel from the tree and your generosity can make a difference in someone's life during this holiday season!
- Drop off Angel Tree donations from Nov. 15 to Dec. 13 during school hours at the front office
A.L. Stanback Middle School
- Fall Picture retakes
- If your student missed the first round of fall pictures, retakes will take place on Tuesday, Nov. 14
- Fall Sports Banquets
Cedar Ridge High School
- Cap and Gown Orders
- The time to order your cap and gown is here!
- Please consider ordering now before the price increases on Nov. 30
- It's pie time!
- The CRHS PTSO will be providing a Thanksgiving pie for each member of CRHS faculty and staff
- Donations for each pie are appreciated and you can purchase one (or 2!) for $13 each and they will be distributed on Tuesday, Nov. 21
- To sign up to donate a pie, click here!
Orange High School
- Graduation Update: Graduation is set to take place on Friday, June 7th on the Orange High School Football Field - more information wil be shared soon
- PSTO Meeting
- Tuesday, Nov. 14 at 6:30 p.m.
- More information can be found here in the PSTO Newsletter
- Durham Tech Day
- Juniors and Seniors are invited to attend "Durham Tech Day" on Friday, Nov. 17
- To sign up for this event, click here
- The vision for this event is to bring Durham Tech to Orange High students in order to showcase the various academic programs and career opportunities. Each of Durham Tech's 7 pathways will have their own designated area inside the high school for any/all programs within that pathway to be represented, and a Success Coach from each pathway will be present to answer questions and float around.
- ACT WorkKeys Testing begins this week
- Seniors who are CTE Concentrators will take this workplace readiness test. Eligible seniors have been notified by email and have been instructed to select a date this month in which to take it. They have also been provided test prep resources to do their very best. Successful test-takers will earn a National Career Readiness Certificate (NCRC).
- North Carolina Triangle Apprenticeship Program (NCTAP)
- A representative from the North Carolina Triangle Apprenticeship Program (NCTAP) will be in the Career Center Thursday of this week at 11:30 a.m. Interested students should plan to attend. See Mr. Montgomery for a pass
- NCTAP has pre-apprenticeships in many career pathways associated with the manufacturing and automotive industries. The participating businesses are in Durham County, Orange County, and Wake County. View those career pathways here: https://www.nctap.org/careers. For more info, visit www.nctap.org/. To register for a facility tour (required if you want to apply) visit https://form.jotform.com/