- Orange County School District
Meals for Students
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
(Effective August 31, 2020 - Updated February 17, 2021)
Where can I pick up meals for my student as of August 31, 2020?
Meals can be picked up at any one of the following 17 locations: Locations 1-8 operate from 10:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m.
- Gravelly Hill Middle School
- Orange High School
- Cedar Ridge High School
- New Hope Elementary School
- Efland-Cheeks Global Elementary School
- Hillsborough Elementary School
- Pathways Elementary School
- Supper Club Mobile Home Park
211 Supper Club Rd, Mebane NC 27302 (near mailboxes)
- Cedar Grove Community Center
800 NC Highway 86 N Hillsborough, NC 27278
- Fairview Community 10:00 a.m. -1:00 p.m., which includes the following locations: 432 Tulip Tree Drive, Hillsborough NC 27278 (Fairview Community Gardens) Corner of Dixie Avenue and Wildaro Court, and 195 Torain Street, Hillsborough NC 27278
- 4959 Howe Street, Durham NC 27705 11:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. 5901 Wilkin Drive, Durham NC 27705 12:10 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
- Riley Hill Park Community - 10:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
- Mobile Acres 1 & 2 - 11:30 a.m. - 11:45 a.m.
Mt. Hermon Church Rd.
- Stonegate - 11:50 a.m. - 12:10 p.m.
Mt. Hermon Church Road
- Terry Fuqua Parkway - 12:15 - 12:30 p.m.
University Station Road
- Arbor Hill - 12:35 - 12:45 p.m.
- Quick Silver 12:45 - 1:00 p.m.
Why are meals not being distributed at all schools?
Some schools currently don’t have enough Child Nutrition Services staff to prepare and distribute food and some schools are undergoing construction projects. As a result, food cannot be distributed at all schools at this time.
Will the district consider distributing meals at other locations?
Yes, the district will continually monitor meal distribution needs and available sites and will make adjustments accordingly.
What time can meals be picked up at one of the food distribution sites?
Meals can be picked up between 10:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. Monday - Friday.
Where do I go to pick up meals once I arrive at one of the meal distribution sites?
Signage will be posted upon arrival with directions on where to go to pick up meals.
Will I have to get out of my vehicle in order to pick up a meal for my student?
No, you don’t have to get out of your car. Staff will come to you.
What is the process for picking up meals once I arrive at a meal distribution site?
A Child Nutrition Services staff person at each food distribution site will:
- approach your vehicle,
- collect information about your student (name, age, school, grade), and
- retrieve the number of many meals needed and provide the meals to you or place them in your vehicle.
It will be a contactless meal distribution process.
Does my student have to be present to receive their meal?
No, students do not need to be present to receive their meal.
Do I need to know my student’s school identification number in order to pick up their meal?
No, you don’t need to know your student’s identification number to pick up their meal. If you have your student’s identification number that would be helpful, but it’s not absolutely necessary.
Am I required to show identification to pick up meals for my student?
No, parents/caregivers don’t need to show identification to pick up meals for students?
What kind of meals will be provided at the meal distribution sites?
Students will be provided a boxed meal containing pre-packaged food including some fresh food such as fruit or vegetables. Students who qualify for free and reduced priced meals will be provided with both breakfast and lunch meals. Students who pay for meals will be charged for each meal selected.
Who can I talk to if I cannot pick up meals for my student(s) or have other concerns about accessing food for my student(s)?
Every school has a Social Worker. Please contact your school’s Social Worker. School Social Worker Directory
Who should I contact if I have any questions or concerns about meals for Orange County Schools’ students?
Please contact Ms. Margie Davidson, interim Director, Child Nutrition Services, at: (919) 245-4002 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.