- Orange County School District
Child Supervision Resources
Dear OCS families,
As we work to meet the needs of our OCS families, we have pulled together multiple resources to share with you for supervision options and other family resources.
YMCA Chapel Hill-Carrboro Opportunity
The Chapel Hill-Carrboro YMCA has successfully provided child supervision services since March to up to 2,000 children daily. The YMCA will utilize the OCS Welcome Center Gym and classrooms.
Details: Welcome Center Gym (YMCA Chapel Hill-Carrboro is provider)
Number of Students Served: Up to 50
Start Date: August 24
Hours: 7:30 am to 6:30 pm (all-day program) - $197 per week
Families should select the Orange County Schools Welcome Center option during registration. This program DOES NOT accept Department of Social Services’ subsidies because it is an offsite, unlicensed provider.
Supervised Learning Labs
To further meet the needs of our families, we are preparing to offer Supervised Learning Labs while remaining focused on balancing three important priorities:
- Supporting our families’ financial security by going to work;
- Providing a safe in-person option for students and supporting students’ educational and academic success; and,
- Preparedness for Plan B.
The Orange County Health Department is supportive of our efforts and advised that we start slowly and with small groups of students. In order for our Supervised Learning Labs to be successful, we will not rush the necessary safety training. We cannot emphasize enough that safety for our students and staff remains our top priority. In addition, we consider the YMCA option at the OCS Welcome Center Gym to be Phase 1 of our Supervised Learning Labs approach.
Our Supervised Learning Labs will open based on the latest metrics provided by the Metrics Mentoring Task Force. Please note that these are potential opening dates and are subject to change based on the metrics at that given time.
Phase 2 Off-Site OCS Remote Locations
- Proposed Location: Pleasant Green United Methodist Church
- Potential Number of (K-5) Students Served: Up to 20 per site
- Start Date: September 14
- Hours: 8:30 am to 6:30 pm (all-day program) contingent upon transportation
- Cost: FREE for McKinney Vento, ESSA, and reduced rates for Free & Reduced Lunch families. These sites will not accept Department of Social Services’ subsidies because it is an offsite, unlicensed provider.
Phase 3 On-Site OCS Locations
- Potential Locations: Pathways, New Hope, Efland-Cheeks Global, A.L. Stanback, and Hillsborough
- Potential Number of Students Served: Up to 30 per site
- Start Date Range: September 21 - October 5
- Hours: 8:30 am to 6:30 pm (all-day program) Free to DSS families or $197 per week
Cost: The fee structure is being determined now and will include a sliding scale based on family needs. For planning purposes, the weekly cost will not exceed $197. These sites will accept Department of Social Services’ subsidies because it is an onsite, licensed provider.
If You are Interested - Join our Information List
If you are interested in your child(ren) participating in one of the OCS Supervised Learning Labs (Phase 2 or 3), please use this link to the family info form to provide us with your contact information.
Other Child Supervision Options
The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services has access to additional information for families as well as options for support of students. Parents can call 1-888-600-1685 for more information.
Below is a list of local supervision options for families. Please note that this is not an endorsement of any particular program or all inclusive, but our attempt to share information with our families.
- Orange County Sportsplex
- Chestnut Ridge
- The Expedition School
- Spence’s Farm
- SonShine Ministries, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Camp New Hope
Cedar Grove Community CenterContact: Dr. Sue Florenceemail: email@example.com: 919-245-2640
Thank you for your continued support and all that you are doing from your homes to help us navigate remote learning.
Director School Community Relations